The return of concerts

Live music and packed venues feels normal, but there’s always a catch

Photo courtesy of the Inquirer.com

Fans at the Hella Mega Tour in Philadelphia in August

Emily Haber, Arts & Culture Writer

Concerts are finally back, and many artists are starting up tours again in what is beginning to feel somewhat normal. However, there are a few precautions and rules that you need to take into consideration before purchasing your tickets to your next favorite show.

Back in August, singer Harry Styles addressed some rules fans must follow in order to get into his concerts, such as having proof of a full COVID-19 vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test to enter the concert. In addition, fans must also wear a mask.

“As always, the well-being of my fans, band and crew is my top priority,” Styles said to the Elite Daily.

“The concert felt exhilarating because it was the first ‘big thing’ I’ve done since the pandemic hit,” says junior Joelle Darragh, who attended Styles concert in August. “I had to wear a mask the whole time unless I was eating or drinking, and you either had to show proof of vaccination or have a negative COVID test 48 hours before the concert.”

Although the mask mandate is still in place, the feeling of normalcy is slowly coming back. However, proof of vaccination or the 48-hour COVID test varies for different artists and venues.

Outdoor concerts were very popular in the summer months, especially at local spots like the BB&T Pavilion in Camden and Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia. Junior Anjali Darji saw Weezer, Fall Out Boy, and Green Day on their Hella Mega Tour at Citizens Bank Park in August. Before she attended the concert, she was notified by email regarding the precautions to be taken. Masks were mandatory at indoor locations including elevators, restrooms and club levels. However, there was no negative proof or vaccination proof required to enter.

“The venue, Citizens Bank Park, required all people to wear a mask,” said Darji, “The majority of the people around me weren’t. I took mine off because it actually started to rain and it got wet. That’s when everyone basically went maskless.”

No social distancing seemed to occur at this concert either as Darji explained how packed the stadium was. “There were people in every seat, everywhere. And the pit was filled to the max.”

With these large concerts starting up again, smaller concerts have also begun as well. Smaller venues, such as the Foundry in Philadelphia, have reopened for small scale artists as well. Similar to large venues, small venues do have rules and regulations to follow. Sophomore Nisanur Yilmaz recently went to The Foundry to see Tyler Posey in concert.

“My sister had to bring proof of vaccination and I had to bring proof of a negative test,” says Yilma, “Masks weren’t mandatory but I personally did wear one.”

Even though this concert was smaller than the Wells Fargo Center or Citizens Bank Park, COVID-19 guidelines were still relevant.

Despite the guidelines and protocols, the feeling of normalcy is finally settling in. “Overall it was the best night of my life and I am so grateful I had the opportunity to go,” said Darragh.