Season of success for the Red Devils swim team

Despite all the obstacles, the Rancocas Valley Boys Swim Team exceeded expectations to win the Ocean Division Title

Photo courtesy of Twitter

The boys season ended with the match against Eastern on February 7

Scotty Allen, Sports Writer

The Rancocas Valley Boys Swim Team had a season that exceeded anyone’s expectations, ending the season with a 9-1 record and on route to becoming 2021-2022 Ocean Division Champions. Even with COVID-19 still affecting the team, as every week the team suffered a member being in close-contact or contracting the virus, the Red Devils continued their fight. However, after the season they lost to their division rival Eastern in the first round of the state playoffs.

Head Coach Scott Hellmann and the three senior captains, Lucas Miglin, Miller Whartenby and John Morris, led the team to success. The main goal was to succeed not only on the individual level, but as a team. The team worked together to achieve all the goals they set at the beginning of the season.

“I couldn’t be prouder of how this team has come together and really gelled as a group,” Coach Hellmann said. Building team chemistry was instrumental in the success of the Red Devils.

The season started off in Moorestown with a sound 100-70 win, which was just the beginning of a 9 meet winning streak that would almost encompass the whole season. After defeating Haddon Township 115-55, making the Red Devil 9-0 on the season, led them going into their season finale against Cherry Hill West riding high with confidence. The well bonded Red Devils fought hard, ultimately losing their 9-meet winning streak in a very close 83-87 loss. Though, even with the loss to end the season, the boys swim team would clinch the Ocean Division and head into the playoffs high with confidence.

The Red Devils opponent for the first round of the playoffs would be a rematch against Eastern.

“During the regular season it came down to the final 4×100 free relay and our guts pulled out the win,” said Coach Hellmann ahead of the conference. “We will be at full strength heading into the playoffs so we are hoping for the same outcome.”

Despite the confidence the boys lost and were knocked out of the playoffs in a hard fought 90-80 meet, once again really close. A tough loss to end the great season for the Red Devils

“It was an amazing year that exceeded everyone’s expectations including our own, even though our season was cut short in the bitter first round of the playoffs,” said freshman swimmer Thomas Wilkinson. “Everyone gave 110% effort every race and it was a lot of fun to be around my teammates.”

“This year was really fun, our whole team fought hard and helped contribute to our division title,” said junior Domenick Pugliese of this season and expectations for next season.” I’m hoping to repeat our great season again next year.”