Red Devils Week in Review: March 30-April 6

A strong opening week to the spring season

Riley Ruiz and Adrienne Austin

Wednesday, March 30:

Girls Lacrosse @ Rumson-Fair Haven

Olivia Sweeney (23) of Rancocas Valley defends against Jackie Braceland (33) of Rumson-Fair Haven. (Photo courtesy of NJ.com)

NJ.com ranked No.17 RV Girls Lacrosse team’s season opener was not an ideal start to the season, as they took a 12-3 loss to No.8 Rumson-Fair Haven. Two of RV’s goals were scored by senior Elaina Corson and the other goal was scored by junior Olivia Sweeney.

Boys Lacrosse vs. Northern Burlington

Right on our home turf, the Boys Lacrosse team beat Northern Burlington 5-3. According to NJ.com, “Cole Jorgenson had two goals for Rancocas Valley, while Nick Marco had a goal and two assists: sophomore goalie Alex Guardino had 17 saves in net to help lead his team to the win.”

Friday, April 1:

Boys Lacrosse vs New Egypt 

RV’s boys added another win to their record as they beat New Egypt in a 11-3 game. Leading scorer was freshman Dean Marco, who scored three goals. 

Saturday, April 2:

Girls Lacrosse vs. Ridge

Ella Ruminski (37) looking for an open teammate.(Photo courtesy of Tami Corson)

The first home game of the season for the Red Devils left them 0-2, with a close 9-6 game against Ridge. Senior Lacy Parker was RV’s leading goal scorer for the game with three goals and Olivia Sweeney led in assists.

Boys Track and Field @ Rebel Relays meet

On April 2, the RV boys competed at the Rebel Relays track meet in Howell, New Jersey.  They won 7th place with a total score of 34. The highest scoring event was second place in the 4×100 relay, with a team of M. Byrd, D. Smith, R. Patterson, and J. Bandele, with a time of 44.56.

Girls Track and Field @ Rebel Relays Meet

The girls took home first place in the large school division with 86 points at the Rebel Relays. Some honorable mentions include: 1st place 3 x 400m Hurdles with a team of Annabella Chin, Sanai Jenkins, and Navaeh Lott. 1st place 4 x 100m relay with Kasey White, Jya Marshall, Olivia Smith, and Adrienne Austin. 1st place 4x100M shuttle hurdles with Laila Bailey, Annabella Chin, Sanai Jenkins, and Navaeh Lott. 1st place finish in the Long Jump Relay with Olivia Smith, Anaya Young, and Joyce Adegoke.

2022 Large School Rebel Relays Champions!

Baseball vs Holy Cross Prep

Senior Jack Digiovani.

The boys opened their season defeating Holy Cross Prep 9-0 with a huge help from junior Gavin Gilmore hitting a double and having three RBI. Junior’s Luke Harris and Graham Adams combined only gave up four hits pitching.

Boys Lacrosse vs. Cherry Hill East

The boys lost their first game of the season, 10-9,  in a very close match up with Cherry Hill East. Sophomore Nick Marco led in goals, assists, and points.

Softball @ Cedar Creek

The girl’s first game of the season at Cedar Creek was an unfortunate 3-4 loss.

Monday, April 4:

Girls Lacrosse vs. Northern Burlington

Back on our turf this past Monday, the girl’s had their first win of the season with a score of 16-5. Elaina Corson had a tremendous game scoring six goals in addition to Olivia Sweeney and Lacy Parker, short behind her, both scoring four.

Boys Lacrosse @ Holy Cross Prep

“I love where we’re at as a program. It was a solid week; everyone’s contributing and we have multiple guys stepping up-including three freshman who tallied 13 combined points” – Coach Shilling.

The boys took home another win this week, defeating Holy Cross Prep 17-2. Leading goal scorer for the game, senior Cole Jorgensen, scored six and matching him with a total of 6 points, 3 goals and 3 assists, was sophomore Nick Marco.

Boys Tennis @ Cinnaminson 

The boys tennis team defeated Cinnaminson 3-2 with singles wins from sophomore Evin Sharockman and senior Logan Burns. In addition, junior David Wiser and Sophomore RJ Lockshine won the first set of doubles by forfeit.

Boys Golf @ Burlington Township

The boy’s golf team defeated Burlington Township, 162-176, with junior Matt Normand scoring 1-over-par 35.

Boys Golf vs Bordentown

In addition to their win against Township, the boys were successful against Bordentown winning 162-200.

Tuesday, April 5:

Softball vs. Northern Burlington

RV’s softball girls played a long game in the cold against Northern Burlington. The game remained 0-0 most of the way through, thanks to Olivia Doppler’s excellent pitching. Unfortunately, the game ended in a 0-2 loss, as Northern Burlington came back with not much time left in the game. 

Elaina Corson (32), Lacy Parker (36), Olivia Sweeney (23), and Devon Creelman (15).

Girls Lacrosse @ New Egypt

The girl’s defeated New Egypt winning 15-0 leaving the girls at a current standing of 2-2. Elaina Corson, Olivia Sweeney, and Lacy Parker led in goals each having 3. Elaina Corson led in assists, having 4, giving her a total of 7 points this game.

Boys Golf @ Pennsauken 

RV’s golf team continued their 3-0, undefeated record this season. They beat Pennsauken in a match ending in 184-224. 

Boys Golf @ Pennsauken

The boys added another win to their record after defeating Pennsauken. The boys are current 3-0.

Boys Tennis @ Northern Burlington

Boys Volleyball against ACIT on Wednesday (Photo courtesy of RVRHS Athletics

The boys suffered a tough 5-0 loss against Northern Burlington making their record 1-1.

Boys Volleyball @ Atlantic Tech 

The boys opened their season winning both sets against Atlantic Tech. Senior Luke Hofmann had four kills and sophomore Jake Ilconich had 12 service points, six of those being aces. 

Baseball vs Northern Burlington

Closing out the week for the boys, they faced a tough opponent unfortunately losing 12-1. The boys current record is 1-1.

Wednesday, April 6:

Boys Lacrosse vs. Cinnaminson

The boys closed out the week with a 14-3 win against Cinnaminson. Freshman Brian Flanders and sophomore Nick Marco lead in goals, each having three and Marco led in points having seven, with Flanders short behind, having five.

Celebration after a strong first week.