“The best version of myself”: Monkonjay Junius, Opinions writer

I’m not good at saying farewell since I know some people will read this and move on, so I don’t take these things seriously. I don’t think I have much to say, or that my words will have much of an impact. People will be unable to comprehend or relate to my statements because we have all had different experiences during the last four years. But there is one thing we all have in common: we did this all together.

And now, looking back on my high school years, I can see how much I changed over time. how I’ve evolved into a person I’m extremely proud of. I’ve had a variety of friends, teachers, and bad and good events that have formed me into the person I am now. And I owe them a debt of gratitude. Because I honestly believe that if my four-year-old self read this, I would be unrecognizable. Which I understand since I never imagined I’d be the one to write one of these. I had no idea who I’d grow up to be or who I’d be after college and in the real world.

I still have no idea what I’m going to  appear like, who might surround me, or who I’ll be in the future, and while a younger version of myself might be terrified to find out, I’m beginning to take comfort in that thought. For a long time, I’ve carried myself in the manner in which I assume others wanted me to. Pleasing others has given way to taking care of myself and not becoming engaged in anything, as well as not always being pleasant to everyone I encounter. And, over the years, I’ve faced many challenges, and I’m still striving to be the best version of myself, as well as to be as compassionate and involved with others as possible. And that version of myself that I want to be has changed. I now see that I didn’t have to focus on school but trying to have a great time while you still can.

I used to limit myself to doing schoolwork and studying for tests, and I can see how quickly the previous few years have passed. And, while these things are still important, I do feel like I missed out on being a kid and being content. I did go to football games with my pals, watch basketball games, and spent a day with my best friend where we just did crazy crazy things. I missed the parts where we’d blast music while driving down the block. And I believe that comprehending the significance of this is what has had the largest impact on me. Because anything awful could happen to me, just as it did to my brother, and I will not be prepared. I wanted to be able to claim that I had a good time before I left. All I had to do was recognize how vital it was for me to be happy and have fun.

I’d like to express my gratitude to the Holly Spirit. I never expected to want to do anything at school, let alone write for the school newspaper. Not only did I like it, but I also discovered something that I believe would be a fantastic future alternative for me. I’d like to express my gratitude to my instructors and administrators for supporting my ideas and listening to me ramble in class, as well as providing me with the encouragement I needed to keep going when things got tough. I’d like to thank all of my friends from the past and present, regardless of how long we’ve known each other, for helping to mold me into the person I am today.

Finally, I’d like to express my gratitude to RV. Despite the fact that you have given some difficult times on and off. These past few years have been eventful, and while I could certainly do without a few things, I don’t think I’d want it any other way. I’m grateful for the home and family this place has provided me, but I also recognize that it’s time for me to let go and go on.

The Holly Spirit • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to The Holly Spirit
$400
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

All The Holly Spirit Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *