Today’s most under-appreciated hobbies

Pastimes such as sewing, writing poetry and getting outside can be rewarding, de-stressing and creative opportunities to meet new people

Photo courtesy of Alexandrea Sulock

Activities such as hiking and crochet can have wonderfully unexpected results

Alexandra Sulock, Opinions Writer

Through my high school career, I have found a large array of friends with whom I have discovered the sheer number of hobbies that exist. As a curious person, I slowly started to branch out in my free time and try these new activities and skills. It occurred to me that I would not have even tried several of these hobbies had it not been for my friends. Sometimes, it’s not that the hobbies are unlikable or boring; it’s just that people don’t know that they exist or don’t know much about them besides what they hear. 

Here are some of the most under-appreciated hobbies I have come across:

Crochet 

If you’ve ever seen something created with several small knots, you’ve probably assumed it was knitted. However, there is a slightly less popular cousin to this skill called crochet. Much like knitting, you create soft items such as stuffed animals and blankets through a series of knots, but with a hook instead of two long needles. Though it is a hobby that takes some practice, it is incredibly rewarding and easy once you get over the short learning curve. 

The possibilities for crochet are endless. And since it is so repetitive, the projects can become meditative once you get the hang of them. It’s thoughtless in the best way possible. You’ll find yourself wandering off mentally and just enjoying the moment. I find it useful when I’m stuck on an essay. 

“I find it relaxing. I like crocheting because I’m good at it, and I like being able to create whatever I want,” said senior Brianna Mascali.

Sewing

Much like crochet, this hobby is often considered outdated. Many often forget the convenience that comes with learning how to sew. Clothes become much easier to purchase when altering them only takes an hour or so of your time. Skirts, jackets and pants all can be fitted to your liking rather than being forgotten in the back of your closet. You can also make so many useful household items; it’s definitely worth learning how.

Sewing is an amazing hobby because of how versatile it is. Fabric can come from just about anything and be turned into whatever you want. I find the process of sewing to be exciting since you’re always moving. There’s always something going on, no matter what step you’re at in your process. Time flies by because you’re so in the moment.

Poetry

When most people think of using poetry to express themselves, they cringe at the idea. They worry about how people will perceive their writing and whether it will be good. Poetry is a very vulnerable form of expression. But the great thing about poetry is that it never has to be shared. And it doesn’t have to be particularly good.

Taking the time to analyze your feelings and put them out there is so much healthier than never letting them out at all. Poetry forces you to think carefully about the meaning you put into your words. It is a fantastic mental release, especially when you’re emotional and feeling trapped. Though it’s just some words on paper, the action of putting them out into the world is freeing.

Hiking

Sitting in hard chairs all day and staring at computer screens can be draining. You just want to get outside and enjoy it for a bit. Hiking is a great way to relax after a stressful week at school or when you just want to get out of the house. Finding trails is not a difficult task here in South Jersey. There are several near RV if you ever find yourself in need of one. One of my personal favorites is the Rancocas Nature Center on Rancocas Road. It’s not only great for beginners, but it has some amazing sights.

Hiking is one of the most relaxing ways to get outside and enjoy being in nature. Besides being able to stretch your legs, the sights you will see on the trails are absolutely stunning. When you are out and exploring, it can sometimes feel like you’re in a storybook. It’s so distracting when you surround yourself with beautiful scenery. Worries seem to simply slip away.

Chess

Chess is a popular game, considering it’s as old as time. While complex and intimidating, chess can be incredibly fun. Most people imagine themselves having to focus and analyze every move they make. And though some people enjoy that form of chess, it doesn’t have to be that way. It can be casual or even fast-paced. In fact, there is a form of chess called “blitz chess” (or “bullet chess”) where players try to play as quickly as possible.

Unlike most board games, chess is meant to keep you on edge. A game is more fun when there are stakes, which makes this the ideal game. It’s strategic and somewhat manipulative, in the same way that a card game would be. Its intense nature serves it well and is what draws you in. Calling out “checkmate” is one of the most satisfying things.

“I joined because I thought it would be really fun to learn chess,” said senior and member of the chess club Stephanie Jose. Her goal this year is to win a game now that she knows how to play properly. If you are interested in playing, RV has its own chess club run by Mr. Robold in D208.

While many students find joy in activities like video games, social media and athletics, I would encourage you to step outside your comfort zone and do something (or create something) just for you, for the fun of it; it can be more rewarding than you think.