“Halloween ends” gives some unexpected twists

Despite the changes, the film doesn’t live up to the ticket price

Irisa Serrano, Arts & Culture Writer

The infamous Michael Myers, also known as the Boogeyman, is back.

They say you can’t kill the boogeyman, and Michael seems to repeatedly prove that true. The now 13-movie-long series is allegedly coming to an end as the title of the most recent movie, “Halloween Ends” implies. However, this time, there’s someone new in the spotlight.

Corey Cunningham, played by Rohan Campbell, is pushed into the spotlight after a tragic accident and gains the nickname “Psycho Babysitter.” Laurie Strode, played by Jamie Lee Curtis, comes across him being harassed by some teens due to this and takes it upon herself to help him, and her granddaughter, Allyson, takes a liking to him. Strode’s feelings toward this decision quickly change after unbeknownst to her, Corey has an encounter with Michael, and something changes within him after, for some odd reason, Michael lets him go. 

Though the plot is slow-moving in the beginning, after this encounter, things escalate quickly. Michael continues his killing spree, this time from the shadows of Haddonfield, Illinois rather than drawing attention to himself before disappearing again like in the previous movies. Laurie’s concerns and suspicions for Corey grow as Michael’s discreet spree continues, supported by others who’ve seen this change in Corey’s demeanor, and Corey becomes more of a danger to himself and others.

I liked this movie because of its beginning unpredictability, however, I did not like the sudden extreme change in the “Halloween” series lore. The acting wasn’t amazing overall, but Jamie Lee Curtis certainly pulled through once again, as well as Rohan Campbell and James Jude Courtney; they pulled the movie together with their incredibly convincing acting and really brought the tension, fear, and overall emotion to this horror/thriller movie. 

This unique spin on the “Halloween” series was needed, however, it was a little too large of a spin as seen by those who fell in love with the original franchise. 

“Because the Halloween movies are so iconic, they shouldn’t have messed with the lore. It would be good if it was a different franchise,” one RV student, junior Kayley McCoy-Smith, mentioned. One might also say it was too much Corey, not enough Michael. I do agree with this statement, as this movie could’ve been great traction for another movie, considering it had eventually become predictable. 

I recommend watching checking out “Halloween Ends,” but somewhere you won’t have to pay almost $20 a ticket to do so. If you have a Peacock subscription or know someone who does, I’d highly recommend watching it there.

.