Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth’s relationship was not full of flowers 

The pop star’s most recent hit–and video–gave reignited attention to rumors about the couple’s ill-fated marriage

YouTube

The beginning to Cyrus’ video for “Flowers”

Antonio Conover, Arts & Culture Editor

On January 13, Miley Cyrus released “Flowers,” the debut single from her upcoming eighth studio album, “Endless Summer Vacation.” As of Janaury 19, the track had become the most-streamed song in a single week in Spotify history. Not soon after the music video “Flowers” was released. Directed by Jacob Bixenman, the video is jovial, empowering and full of digs at her ex-husband, Liam Hemsworth — whose birthday coincided with the date of the release.

Opening the video, Cyrus is seen walking down a sidewalk in a vintage gold Yves Saint Laurent dress. Fans and viewers took notice that the breath-taking wardrobe piece was similar to a dress that Jennifer Lawrence stunted to the 2012 Los Angeles Premiere of “The Hunger Games.” Cyrus’s former husband notably played the love interest for Lawrence’s character in the movie.

YouTube

Despite Cyrus denying the rumors of cheating in 2019, Lawrence’s comments about kissing Hemsworth outside the realm of their work, in combination with the similar dress, re-ignited fan speculation of the rumors.

Right off the bat, the lyrics make clear reference to Cyrus’s previous marriage, stating; “We were right ‘til we weren’t / built a home then watched it burn.” Cyrus and Hemswoth shared a home in Malibu, which was destroyed in 2018 by the wildfires that wrought the area. As the chorus begins, Cyrus takes off her gold hood, puts her hair up and begins to dance. Freed of a burdensome relationship, she emphatically states that she can provide for herself without it.

The lyrics of the chorus, “I can buy my own flowers” seem to respond to the Bruno Mars’s 2012 song, “When I Was Your Man.” Perhaps this suggests a changed mindset about her previous relationship. Rather than wondering if a former lover wishes things ended up differently, Cyrus reasserts herself as the maker of her own destiny. Her lyrics act as a response to Mars’s song entirely. 

As Cyrus sings about being able to fulfill her own needs, she removes her dress, and wades through sprinklers, before jumping into a swimming pool to wash the stress of her past away.  Cyrus proceeds to perform an extensive workout routine. As she pushes her body to perform, it is clear that the routine represents rediscovering her inner strength.“Flowers” asserts its status as an empowerment anthem as Cyrus sheds the burden of her past.

In the final minute of the music video, Cyrus dawns a black suit jacket and pants, while dancing sporadically. Fans were quick to draw comparisons to the scene in which Joaquin Phoenix dances down the stairs in “Joker” (2019). While some fans speculated that this is due to Hemsworth’s affinity for the movie, others have suggested that it could be a reflection of Cyrus’s mental health. Ultimately, in the film, “Joker” was famously isolated, and the visual similarity may suggest that Cyrus has mixed feelings about her lack of relationship.

The choice of the black suit suggests another subtle dig at Hemsworth due to the similarities of the suit to one he wore to the 2019 premiere of “Avengers: Endgame.” During the premiere, a video allegedly captured Hemsworth telling Cyrus to “behave for once” after she pretended to lick him. Though viewers argued whether the tone of the comment was playful or scornful, the couple nonetheless called it quits shortly after. A fan theory is that Cyrus is digging at Hemsworth, displaying that she can behave however she pleases. 

RV students have mixed feelings about the video, but many applaud Cyrus for her music.

“I think it’s very empowering for Miley,” said junior Tatiana Morto. “I mean, she doesn’t need a man’s money or a man’s love. She can get anything she wants on her own.”

While fans have continued to unpack a growing mountain of potential easter eggs, Cyrus has been tight-lipped. But with new music confirmed to be in the works for Cyrus, the music scene is poised to witness a new era for the pop star.