How Generation Z really feels about the 2020 election

Along with relief, students are expressing concerns under the Biden Administration 

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons

Joe Biden spoke to supporters on November 7

Mya Collins, News Writer

Generation Z Students at Rancocas Valley Regional High School both fearful and optimistic about their futures under the Biden Administration. 

Since the announcement of President-Elect Joe Biden securing his seat in the White House on November 7, it is evident that Gen Z is conflicted on which path the country will take in the next four years of Biden’s presidency. 

“At least for the next four years I can finally feel like we are moving towards a more progressive America,” freshman Peyton Couch said. “I have confidence in knowing that when terrible things do happen in this country, that our president will actually step into action and help resolve it.”

On the contrary, some students feel that the country is taking a turn for the worse. There are concerns about the security of the election due to the overwhelmingly large amount of mail-in ballots cast this year. 

In an anonymous survey conducted to collect information about how students at RV reacted to the election, one student mentioned, “I believe that Biden would be a very unfit president and that the election had been rigged due to mass amount of mail-in votes, so I hope to see this overturned and for Trump to be in office the next four years.”

In that same student poll, of the 223 responses, 132 people (59%) were either satisfied or very satisfied with the results of the election, but 96.8% of the students did not vote because they were underage and therefore not eligible. 

Many students who were unable to vote in this past election feel like sitting ducks in the bigger picture of America. Not being a part of something as vital as a presidential election can be frightening.  

“My frustrations about not being able to vote in this past election were mainly over the fact that my generation’s future is at stake,” Couch said. “I feel that a lot of my generation woke up this election and really took the time to educate themselves, and to not have any influence over this election after spending so much time talking and viewing things about it was extremely difficult.”

While many people believe that this past election was one of the most important elections for Gen Z’s future, history and government teacher Tony Pietrofitta does not agree with this assertion.

“The media and most people tend to put too much emphasis on the office of the President and discount those of Congress and state-level positions,” Pietrofitta said. “While the president gets most of the attention from the media and interest from citizens, many overlook the importance of the other layers of government and the impact it has on our lives.”

With each election, first-time voters are eager to be a part of the process. The pandemic resulted in a less than normal election process which can prove to be rather frustrating.

“Two very different people were running against each other and it was very stressful to see the results coming in as slow as they did,” senior Kylee Myers said. “I wish I could have voted in person for my first election but that is obviously out of my control.”

During these times of uncertainty, female representation in the White House has inspired many young girls across the country who have long felt a lack of representation at the national level.

“I’m pretty excited,” freshman Emersynn Fair said. “We haven’t had a woman with that much power ever in the US and I think it will be great to hear a woman’s opinion really matter for once.”

While emotions are high, with many unknowns, it is clear that Gen Z is becoming more aware of their roles as American citizens. Despite this year’s wave of first-time voters, many people continue to feel ambivalent about how America will change in the next four years.